cbd sales in colorado

Tax license types: If a vendor has a current Denver sales tax license, no additional tax license is required. However, vendors who do not have a current Denver sales tax license may need a Denver special event sales tax license. State taxes may also apply. Contact Treasury for more information.


I. Do I need a license to sell or distribute hemp/CBD products at special events?

INSIDE COLORADO: If the hemp/CBD product is produced in Colorado, the product must come from a source that is registered with and approved by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) as a wholesale food manufacturer. Hemp/CBD ingredients sourced from within Colorado are considered from an approved source if all utilized parts of the hemp plant originate from a cultivator registered with the Colorado Department of Agriculture (CDA). CDPHE maintains a list of these registered and approved sources on their website.

II. What requirements apply to ingestible hemp/CBD products?

These types of products can be stored outside of refrigeration only if the vendor has a current shelf stability approval letter from DDPHE.

For more information other than what is posted here contact the CDA’s Export Program directly.

Use the following as a guide to finding the appropriate Regulatory Agency and/or CDA Program to contact for information on hemp-related regulations and requirements that are outside the scope of cultivation (growing) of Hemp, and as such, are outside the scope of this Program.

You will also find a list of all CDA Approved and Certified Seed with distributor information, along with the most recent of press releases which CDA puts out as new varieties are added.

At this time, The CDA recommends that you carry the following documents with any shipment:

What is a Phytosanitary Certificate?

For Shipping Information please see Shipping Requirements.

This Program, The Colorado Department of Agriculture’s Hemp Program, has a regulatory role (authority) that is limited to the cultivation (growing) of hemp only.